Volunteers keep Peabody Garden areas healthy and growing. Our Master Gardener Advisors (also volunteers) need help with routine and special maintenance on each scheduled workday. Please come and spend an hour or more working with the Master Gardener Advisors. This summer we are finishing a major restoration of garden areas that have been impacted by two years of construction at the school, completing periodic maintenance of the shrubs, and making sure the weeds (especially the vines) don’t overtake the plants we want to grow and thrive. One or two additional people sharing the tasks really help us get through the summer and ensure that the garden areas are in good shape for the next school year. As always you will learn about gardening first hand. The Master Gardener Advisors spend time during each session discussing the history and purpose of each area within the garden, or the reasons for the methods tools used to maintain a specific area as well as answering questions about the school garden and gardening in general. The garden patrol has tools and gloves for volunteers to use. Summer work days are scheduled for:
- Wednesday, June 25, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Saturday, June 28, 2014 – 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Monday, June 30, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 9, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 16, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, July 23, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Monday, August 4, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, August 13, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Wednesday, August 20, 2014 – 5:00 to 7:00 PM
- Saturday, August 23, 2014 – 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Please note that the workday will be cancelled if there are thunderstorms.
Peabody Garden is located at 425 C Street, NE between 4th and 5th Streets, NE (4 blocks from Union Station Metro).